Comic Art Master Class: The Crimson Cat | Inking & Coloring
Clip Studio Paint
Intermediate Understanding of Basic Drawing Principles
Welcome to Comic Art Master Class: The Crimson Cat
Creating a full comic book illustration is extremely difficult, because it relies so heavily on a clear understanding of your process – which many artists don’t fully develop even after they’ve learned the fundamentals.
So if you want to consistently create stunning comic art that earns the respect of your peers and impresses your fans, I’m going to share my very own process with you in this class, and show you exactly how to execute it.
For years I’ve taught hundreds if not thousands of students the same digital workflow you’re about to learn here. No matter what illustration you’re working on, you’ll be able to rely on this process over and over again regardless of its complexity. It’s simple, easy to follow and will give you consistent results in your work.
We’ll start at the very beginning with a basic rough sketch to get our idea down onto the page. From there with ink in the outline, drop in the shadows and render the materials and textures using various crosshatch and detailing techniques. Finally we’ll add mood and drama to the illustration with a dash of color, adding in shadows and highlights to create a whole new level of depth and dimension to our comic art.
It goes without saying that it takes a ton of time, practice and dedication to master any skill, but having a go-to process you can depend on is half the battle.
So after taking this class and learned the workflow you’re about to learn, you should see significant improvements within your work and feel much more confident tackling a comic book illustration of any size and complexity.
Here’s some of the topics you’ll learn about throughout this class:
- Line control with Brush Size and Pressure
- Rendering and Detailing Materials
- Using line weights
- Balancing Values
- Complimentary Color Schemes
- Blending Shadows, Midtones and Highlights
- Light Dispersion and Tonal Hierarchy
I really enjoyed creating the illustration I’m demonstrating throughout this class, and I can’t wait to take you through the entire process step by step.
So buckle up, grab your stylus and let’s get straight into it!
Who this course is for:
- Comic Artists who want to produce their work digitally, with advanced inking and coloring techniques
- Comic Book Colorists who are looking for a straight forward digital workflow
- Comic Book Inkers who would like to acquire the skills to ink their work digitally, with slick outlines and high detail rendering
- Comic Artists who want a straight forward workflow for sketching, pencilling and inking comic book illustrations
- Concept and character designers who want to learn how to define their work with clean line art