Are you in the LOVE? Or did you ever been in LOVE? Then you should know how hard it is to buy a present for the loved one, especially on the Valentine’s Day. Every 14, February it slowly creeps up, the one day of the year where everything is pretty much covered in hearts, shades of red and pink and you begrudgingly give in and spend a ridiculous amount of money on mediocre chocolate, just because it’s packed in a heart shaped box. But do you know
- The true origins of Valentine’s Day?
- When was Valentine’s Day declared an official holiday?
- Which country began the tradition?
- When it became associated with romance?
- What percent of women send themselves flowers on Valentine ’s Day?
- Cupid was the son of what Roman God?
- In what Shakespeare play is Valentine’s Day mentioned?
Whether you love Valentine’s Day or hate it, one thing’s clear that Valentine’s Day history goes way back. And while Valentine’s Day is now known for kissing, Valentine’s Day gifts for him and hard-to-get dinner reservations, the origins of the holiday are far less romantic.
Here, the Valentine’s Day history that wouldn’t make it into a rom-com, featuring a saint, a massacre, and even sinful nuns of Valentine’s Day (seriously!). This is everything you need to know about the real origins behind the 14, February holiday.
Take our quiz, and find out just how much you know about this day.